pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:03:02 +0000

Aloha,

I haven't been able to break it, but if y'all could try a couple of
random searches I'd appreciate it. If you get an 'Internal Server
Error' send me the URL asap.

Separate mail because this is very important testing-wise...

"Break it" is going to be a very complex thing to comprehend in terms of queries and data integrity.

Since any given search returns possibly tens, hundreds, even thousands of items, we need to be able to verify ("well enough" anyhow) that the data returned is actually a correct response to the query.

One part of dealing with this is to first create some representative queries that are manually verifiable as to correctness.

These queries can then be scripted as a semi-automated test.
If there's no change in data content between releases of data engine, they can be pretty much fully automated (diff the output against known correct data, etc.).

The queries chosen need to represent as well as possible all knowable risk areas in the back end.

At this point, since we don't have a "new" DB or even much of a design doc for one, this can wait.
Just want everyone to be aware early on that this is perhaps the most serious (and complicated) issue in design and testing of this beast...

cheers,