pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: Plants For A Future <webmaster@pfaf.org>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Eden 0.1.3 release
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:20:20 -0600

Plants For A Future writes:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, John Schinnerer wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> Interesting post. There seems to be a couple of parts to the results
>
> 1) The actual names of the plants found
>
> 2) How they are displayed i.e. formatting
>
> What could make testing easier is if we can have a plain text output
> just listing the latin names of matching plants. Hopefully that would
> make doing 1) easier.

Exists already. As I've said before there is a text/cli client that I
originally wrote in order to create the correct level of interface
abstraction, but in retrospect was a good move in terms of debugging,
and might also be helpful in testing.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried to install/run Eden? I'd really
like feedback on the packaging, instructions, and general
accessibility of it. All you need is MySQL 4.x and Python 2.x and it
should work on your computer (Win, Mac, Unix).

> Automatic testing for 2 is tricky.
>
> But I definiatle think that ammassing a list of standard searches
> is a good thing to do right now. I'd like to propose all the searches
> on the pages
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_canned.html
> D_edib.html D_med.html D_other.html
>
> I'm currently getting "the operation timed out while trying to connect
> to permaculture.info". Are things actually running on ibiblio or via
> chad's string and tin can modem?

All on ibiblio. Actually with my new keep_alive.py proggie my string
and tin can modem is at least double 9s. Should also resolve to
dev.permaculture.info. I should have anon cvs checkout soon.