pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Job One

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Job One
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:43:00 +0000

Aloha,

Agree with Lawrence and Rich.
We've already been around this discussion way back - got to have a back end (DB and 'data engine') before we can have a front end; dev and test of back end requires a simple/straightforward front end to support it (and also be initial/generic/low bandwidth front end, especially for all that *input* we are hoping to get from somewhere out there).

IMO this also means not too much time spent on web site eye candy.

As this small group has already demonstrated, some out there will love the color choices and others won't and that applies no matter what colors, logos, graphics, etc. we pick or how much bandwidth we spend picking them.

And if there's nothing useful behind them they matter even less, so let's get on with the guts of the project - the DB and data engine and a clean functional accessible standards-based way to access it via web.

- Job I -
Webs and relationships are data, information, text information. First and foremost that
needs to be delivered to the user, even if it is in its most basic form, text, presented
in a website using XHTML, etc. (lists, paragraphs, graphical data, with checkboxes,
search forms and more to refine the quality of the data presented).
This large task needs to be accomplished first.

Compleatly agree with this. Job I is the priority. Creating
a system for user input is high on lists of things to do.