pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Website, standards, browsers

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Website, standards, browsers
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:10:05 +0000

Aloha,

There is a design awkwardness regarding the fluidity of the header. I currently have one image attached left, and one attached right. If they overlap, it would look ugly.

You can assume minimum 800x600 display size for non-handheld-device screen display, and at 800 wide that will never happen. Not with current header images anyhow.

For handhelds everything is an issue display-wise so let's not deal about that at the moment. Would be a whole separate CSS most likely.

I could use a PNG image to resolve some of these issues, but some earlier browsers don't support it.

Ah yes, the browser support issue.
That kinda falls in my court...or it will sooner or later...

I say we use current web standards, with tweaks/workarounds for only the most heinous browser bugs in browsers that, aside from such bugs, really do aim to support web standards.

In other words, valid XHMTL 1.0 Transitional, valid CSS 1, valid CSS 2 to the extent it is supported broadly enough to be "safe" to use, and separation of data, content and presentation.

To let visitors know, every page should start with something like this:

The CSS is:

/* for browsers that don't support web standards */
.notwebstd
{display: none}

...so if user looks at page with e.g. Navigator 4.x or lynx, etc. they will see the above message first thing on the page and know what is going on.

All content will still be accessible; layout and look/feel may not be as intended due to lack of CSS support in browser.