pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:14:34 -0800

How do I see Industrial Ecology relating to Permaculture??

Well, both are manifestations of Biomimicry - design inspired by patterns
and principles of the natural world. Whereas Permaculture applies
ecological patterns and principles to the design of agricultural systems,
Industrial Ecology applies them to the design of industrial ones:

Ecosystems <==> Guilds/Food Forests <==> Eco-Industrial Parks

ya dig?

(And yes yes, I understand that Permaculture not only applies ecological
patterns and principles to the design of agricultural systems - but also
to that of social, economic, and yup, *any* systems; Permaculture is a
design methodology in itself, and accordingly, some would argue, not a
manifestation of Biomimicry but parallel to it. But, for purposes of
relating it to IE, you catch my drift. Both Permaculture and IE mimic
natural systems in the design of human ones.)

As far as applying IE to HG. Well. Remember how I keep emphasizing that
I want the message to match the medium - both frontend and backend? And
if the message is about webs and relationships, the medium should embody
them too. So:

Frontend = webs/relationships = GBI, groxis, whatever else someone
(please?) researches that is similar in UI to what are trying to do

Backend = webs/relationships = Ecosystem Information Engineering

What is Ecosystems Information Engineering (besides a mouthful) you ask?
That is a branch of IE, applying ecological principles (webs/
relationships) to the design of Information Systems. Yes indeed.
Mimicking ecology in the backend/information architecture.

Is this all making sense? I'm pretty tired but I just had to get that
out there.

More later...

'night
*Stephanie