pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Agreement, consensus

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Agreement, consensus
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:51:13 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Like Stephanie says Lawrence, I think it would be a good idea to take
a bit of a break, breath deeply, and think about what we are doing and
how significant it is. In this light, details like platform and
hosting are really not as important as developing a great tool. In
order to develop this tool we need to work together.

It would be a good idea not to delay further and get started, availing
ourselves of the opportunity to
do our work on ibiblio.

I support your proposal to
"Start on ibiblio ASAP with the Eden engine/dataset and build a RDBMS
agnostic python cgi ala 3) from August 11 post subject: 'platform
revisited'. "

And Rich's followup statement:
"Yes I would go with this." and:
"This morning I beleive that Chad's proposal will
give us the strongest system at the end of the day. "

I do not support any other option and will block them if proposed. That means
no to starting with Zope on arashi or buying a Zope machine,
unless money becomes immediately available to purchase one for ibiblio and Rich approves this and is willing to do some work in that development environment at that location.

I support Rich's ideas and proposals as expressed through discussion so far
and any of yours
that involve utilizing ibiblio from the start with a platform that is a blend
of yours and Rich's preferences.
The hosting and platform decision is up to you and Rich M. If you decide not
to work with him and go your own way
in a direction other than ibiblio I will transfer my support to Rich for
further development of some new incarnation of PFAF
as permaculture.info or any other domain he chooses. This support will
represent my time, info contributions, web/wiki/list services
as needed and an outright donation of $3000 to him for programming wages
disbursed by PI through an escrow account on PCU.

I think we _all_ share equally in a grand vision for our database. We should,
somehow, be able to work together to reach this common goal.
For me, however, this does not mean a compromise to start with Zope on arashi. If the project is started there I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, trust where it may end up and under whose control, what purpose it may ultimately serve and who will benefit _or profit_ from it. There's no assurance that we will get _any_ more funding therefore ibiblio is the most economical way for us to be hosted with the most robust services for the longest time.

That's about it for me.
Like you, I too am weary of waiting to get started.