pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Agreement, consensus

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Agreement, consensus
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:31:25 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> Aloha,
>
> > Withdrawal of participation is IMO the same as blocking because it
> > represents a position of not supporting the proposal.
>
> I understand where you're coming from.
>
> I expect a clear statement of support, indifferent, disagree but not
> blocking, or blocking. Some systems have another option or two, but
> most I'm aware of have clear differentiations between:
>
> 1) disagree (not blocking)
>
> 2) blocking
>
> Blocking is usually seen as a pretty drastic move in formal consensus,
> something someone might do a handful of times in a lifetime if they
> actually stay committed to a given group that long. People who block
> frequently usually self-select out and/or are booted out, because it is
> an indicator that they and that group are not well-suited.
>
> One good tool I have seen is a set of colored cards that each person has
> in hand during a meeting. Each color represents one of the available
> positions in the consensus system in use (agree, indifferent, disagree,
> blocking, others if they exist).
>
> When an issue is brought up for decision, each person simply holds up
> the card matching their position.
> This removes most issues with assumptions about what words or actions
> mean what position.

Neat idea. In larger groups I've been in we have a show of thumbs.
Up/Yes, sideways/indifferent, down/not good. Although down doesn't
necessarily indicate blocking energy, it means that there are
unexpressed/unmet concerns that need more discussion. Yes, blocking
is a pretty serious move in a consensus decision making group.