pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:34:56 +0100

Scott Pittman wrote:
Chad Knepp wrote:

Ok, let's talk about objects:

Here are some of the things I think should be in a plant:
tinfo/pcplantdb

--snip--

I like all of the things listed in both db's but the thing that was glaringly missing was ""guilds"" which is why I thought this grant was written! Guild information will have to be solicited from all over the world, and will take time.

I think we should have as much information as possible on the plant guilds around a given species in its original habitat, ie apricots in Persia, and then the information on analog guilds in various regions as developed by individuals or evolved on their own.

A lot of this work has been done with such people as Vavilov, but it was incidental to the research they were doing and the results are sketchy. Which means a lot of research into the botanical literature.

Yes indeedy. We have been talking about relationships
of late, don't know if you been subscribed when that was happening.
Relationships can be seen as a broader concept than guilds,
i.e. a guild is just a particular form of relationship between plants.

The model I've got in my mind is a table

Table Relationships
Plant1 - (id not null)
Plant2 - (id not null)
Relationship Type - (word not null?)

We don't need to limit ourselves to Plants so Plant2 could actually
be a Plant Guild or a benificial insect or such like.

Do you have much info on plant guilds, or know where to look?
I've done a bit of a trawl on the internet and didn't come up with much.

A couple of other glaring ommisions came to my mind while going to
my ki-akiedo class. If its a permaculture DB we really should
having some of the key permaculture ideas in there.

Permaculture Zones - which pc zone could this plant be suitable for

Layers - Use the layers concept: canopy, secondary, shrub, pernnials,
ground cover, roots and climbers.

Any others?

ttfn

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants