pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:02:07 -0600

Richard Morris wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Good stuff, currently I'd like to focus on the bits
which tie strongly with specific plants.

patterns

Not quite sure how this works with plants. Are there
specific patterns which work with specific plants. An example
would help to work out how to represent this.

I think that patterns might fit in with habitat or growth characteristics. Under story, over story, and etc. Where a specific plant fits into the overall plant - geographic pattern.

stacked functions

I'm not 100% sure what this is about

This is a criteria for pc design which says every element in a design should serve multiple functions ie a tree can be a windbreak, shade, fruiting and good for tember all in one .
Only appropriate in the db as uses or products.

.

edge zones

This is a specific habitat that many plants thrive in and many only live in this zone.

Probably can fit this in with habitats section.

water management
nurtient management

pc systems (swales, berms, guild planting/building

Swales go nicely with habitats.
Whats a berms?

Berms are what is created when you dig swales - it is the combination of on contour ditch and the downslope spoil (berm) that is called a swale.

food production
economic plant production (timber and firewood. etc.)

This fits with the plant uses section.

plant nursery operation
year-round gardening, greenhousing, season extension

--snip--

Just to be clear, a guild is a particular plant's beneficial associates, which includes all the biota - nitrogen fixing bacteria and fungi, squirrels, browsers birds, insects, mosses, other plants and lichen, to name a few. These assemblies have evolved over the years to the benefit of all the associates. If we can replicate these systems we have a much more sustainable system that provides for our needs without work or outside inputs. As we have dismantled these structures for more specific production at higher volume, mono cropped corn for instance, we destroy the natural protection from pests, and deprive the plant of essential nutrient. We then have to work to keep the plant alive by mining nutrient and spraying poisons in our environment.

Scott