pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.23.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.23.04]
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:39:26 -0700

well hello there,

Watch out folks, because you’re gonna get flooded with messages from me
now… (Uh-oh, is this what you wanted, Scott?)

So:

-NAME –
John S. and Lawrence both agreed with my proposal to call our project the
Permaculture Information Web, and reserve OPP or OPIP for the umbrella
collaborative of Permaculture-related websites. Scott says, “I still think
the shorter the sweeter, but I'm easy. As twice before I vote Permaculture
Info, I suppose Permaculture Knowledge would work too.”

So, our URL would be www.permaculture.info, our project name would be
Permaculture Information Web, and our umbrella collaborative would be called
Open Permaculture Project or Open Permaculture Information Project (I vote for
the former, the latter is too verbose).

Is this allright? And OPP or OPIP?

Lawrence suggested:
“permaculture.info

A Permaculture Information Web

Hosting The Open Permaculture Information Project

An International Collaborative On the World Wide Web”

This is also a bit too wordy to me. And confusing. “Information” appears
twice in two different names, and I wouldn’t understand how PIW fits into
OPIP. For now, I would just call it Permaculture Information Web, have a nice
lil’ motto (like the one Rich suggested), and refrain from mentioning OPIP
until it exists. Thoughts?

-Ibiblio/ZOPE -
John S. made his opinions clear:

“If you find funding that can only be used for such purposes, and not
used to pay ourselves or fund eventual other aspects of our project, I
would not block it. If you spend time doing that that takes away at all
significantly from finding funding we can use to pay ourselves, or fund
eventual other aspects of our project, I do not support that.” He also
disagreed with taking out a loan from the PCU.

Lawrence agreed with my proposal to raise money for Ibiblio’s server, and
wrote, “This is wasting our time going around and around about hosting at a
location other than ibiblio. If a decision is made by this group not to
permanently host permaculture.info at ibiblio I will drop this project like it
was a constipated Tasmanian Devil on steroids having a bad hair day.”
Whoa, that’s a scary image. But basically, Lawrence is down with (or up
for) raising money for, and even contributing money to, Ibiblio’s server.

Scott wrote, “I will talk to the PCU today but I know that they will want
any loan collateralized and that can't be with the computer that we give IBIB.
I will talk with some of my donors from past and see if it is possible to get
them to donate funds. In the meantime Stephanie I should talk with you about
some organizations you could write for grant money. This shouldn't take too
long and in the mean time the database should be developed. It will be much
easier to raise money for hardware once we can tell potential donors that we
have the database and are ready to rock and roll.”

Lawrence, Scott, and I all support the idea of buying a server for Ibiblio.
John is against spending money on a server, unless it doesn’t come out of
wage money. So John – if the money does not come out of our wages, and we
still receive $15/hour or more, would you support this idea? How about Chad
and Rich?

Also, John S. discussed the Bugzilla issue. He wrote, “If it's not
possible, there's that darn hosting issue again. Perhaps we could leave it on
John H.'s system. Perhaps there are some free bugzilla providers out there
somewhere.” So I am wondering, do we absolutely need to use Bugzilla? What
is it for?

He also wrote, “One reason John H. went with johncompanies.com as his
infrastructure provider is that he gets a full virtual machine - he is
root/sysadmin and can do anything he wants with his system, so lots of issues
that arise in being a shared user of a shared machine (Laughing Squid,
ibiblio, etc.) and not having root privileges simply vanish.” But I assume
johncompanies is expensive? Should not having root privileges be a concern of
ours?

And thanks for asking Ibiblio for a price quote, Lawrence – let us know what
they say.

-PROJECT PLAN –
Oops. I promised to send one today, right? Sorry about that, I’ll send it
tomorrow.

While I’m on the topic, though – Chad and Rich, can you two please discuss
your joint/separate tasks? And yes, perhaps a telephone conversation is in
order…

-$ –
John S. wrote, “I would work on HG for $15/hr., though if I have other
paying work at other "real world" rates it will get priority most of the
time.” Hey brother, we are all in the same boat. I assume we all have
full-time jobs with “real world” rates, but we are obviously not in this
for the money. I understand what you’re saying, we’re doing this out of
Love for hg…

He also asked if most grantors limit how much money can be spent on wages,
because this might be a concern. But this is why from now on, I will focus on
funders that do not limit wage money, or I will request special exceptions.

Also, can PI do our bookkeeping, Scott? Would everyone agree to this?
Because yes, it would be overwhelming and impractical to have me do it.

++

Finally, Lawrence would like to create a new (and improved?) wiki as our
shared workspace. So I would like to ask – what do we want out of a
workspace? What will we be using it for? Do we need one, or does this
listserv suffice? And if we do decide to use one, can you please send us
(umm…at least me) super clear instructions on how to use it, Lawrence?

Beleza. AFAIK I am learning all these new acronyms.

peace, IMO
*s

  • [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.23.04], Stephanie Gerson, 08/23/2004