pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [rere][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [rere][synthesis]
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:05:14 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

One last burst of bandwidth tonight...

> Options including Javascript cascading menus and SSI work OK as a
> navigational tools.
> Of course there are fancier tools available to those with the web
> authoring skills to implement them.

Also, I am still advocating maximum accessibility for low-bandwidth and/or
low-technological-means users via at least one front-end of many possible.

This may be our initial simple testing/development front end as well, at
least to start with.

> Speaking of turning HG into an educational tool, adding little widgets
> here and there
> to make navigation easier, keep track/maintain a trail of where you've
> been and what you've seen
> would be a good thing: something you often see in newspaper and magazine
> websites: "email this article
> to a friend", the ability to cleanly send or save the information in
> search results pages would be useful to
> researchers or students. Ex.: go to a CNN news page; click send page,
> delete attached file but copy and paste
> article text into the body of your email beneath the URL - CNN inserts the
> article's title into the subject line,
> insert destination ID and send. You end up with a nicely formatted piece
> of textual info on your computer, ready for archiving.

Let's get the issue tracker up ASAP and all this sort of stuff can go in
as feature requests and so on.

> When you all get it together enough to decide on and procure a project
> domain name you then ask ibiblio to host it for you;
> then all those who need read/write permission to the website's file system
> (website/database/wiki/mailing lists/other software tools and
> utilities) will need to obtain login accounts on ibiblio (Linux shell
> accounts/telnet and ftp access/individual webspace) as content
> providers collaborating on HG development. Rich is already on ibiblio so
> group permission for HG webspace would include him and be extended
> to others as needed.

Chad, it sounds to me like you're on board with ZODB and ZCatalog and,
obviously, python. IMO this makes zope as web application platform a
no-brainer.
Lawrence, you said quite a long time ago that ibiblio was not willing to
host on zope.
If that is still the case we need to sort out some hosting/infrastructure
issues (which may simply entail asking them to look at it anew).
ZODB and ZCatalog *can* be use separately from zope, with python, but that
would require coding from scratch a whole ton of stuff already provided by
zope (such as the built-in authentication/permissions stuff I mentioned
earlier, for one significant example).

> pcplantrelationsdb
>
> permaplantrelationsdb
>
> or just:
>
> http://plantrelationships.org
> or:
> http://plantrelationshipsdb.org
>
> reads well, easy to remember, gets the subject matter of the website
> across

I really don't care for those. Wouldn't block using them, just don't care
for them. Remind me of Stephanie's recent comment about maybe something a
little more clever is out there...

> Same here. October 14, 1939.

Dang, you're almost exactly the same age as my mother.

> Can you not send important documents as attachments but as plain text
> files posted
> directly to the list included in or as separate messages. Also I have no
> way to cleanly read the doc file you attached
> (I don't use Word); would prefer plain ascii text - much easier to edit.

Maybe RTF (rich text format) could be some sort of happy medium - allows
the management types to do some comfortable formatting but universal
enough to be supported by a heck of a lot of editors.

Haven't got the attachment yet but I expect I can read it fine with
OpenOffice...will let you know...