pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [rere][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [rere][synthesis]
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:05:06 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> Not a good idea. Everything should be under the umbrella license chosen by
> pcplantdb.

I agree.

> What does SA stand for?

Share Alike, meaning derivations must use same license as whatever they
were derived from.

> This is a great idea. Keep it simple. Have contributors fill out a form
> that will append their namess to a list of contributors. What about an
extra data field in a plant record, for the contributor?

As already mentioned, if only logged-in users can add/edit, this can all
be automated.
I highly recommend *not* allowing anonymous users to do any kind of
add/edit (because all we can track is that "anonymous" did it...not very
helpful if accountability becomes an issue...).

> I should probably have the new list created soon but need some suggestions
> as to name

IMO name is pretty irrelevant - anything adequately descriptive will do -
we will all just hit reply or type our own address book nickname to post,
no?

> Need the project domain first or can just use ibiblio temporarily as in:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pcplantdb
> Let me know if you want me to have this account and webspace created -
> those sharing it will need ibiblio accounts and be on a group
> permissions list.

Sounds good to me to get going, domain pointer is easy to change. Would
they give us a TLD, e.g.

http://pcplantdp.ibiblio.org

...??

> In answer to John's question, I will inquire whether Zope is offered by
> ibiblio and if not could it be, maybe just for our project
> in case they don't want to make it generally available to other ibiblio
> content providers because of allleged maintenance problems for their
> staff (don't know if this is still the case as it may have been a long
> while ago).

Way back when, you said they wouldn't run it because it crashed a lot. I
never heard what version they were playing with.
John H. and I have had about zero maintenance and zero downtime running
zope on his server (I have three virtually hosted sites running on one
instance) - John H. maybe you can add a few words about how little you've
ever had to do to babysit zope...?
I run it locally on my dev machine, and also have zero hassles and zero
crashes. We are at 2.5.1 at present; latest stable is 2.7.2

Also John H. (if you're willing, mon ;-) may be a resource for us/ibiblio
for install and config of zope behind apache with virtual hosting and so
on, as he has done all that stuff a while back in order to host my
zope-based sites.

> Do you need Bugzilla also? John?

Yeah, that's my choice at this point for issue tracker. If they already
have it we just need a project added for our project; if not we need it
installed and same. In either case I would need admin perms (for our
project area only of course! :-).