pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:49:04 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

-Lawrence wrote, “Isn't a GBI interface icing on the cake which could be added later.” The interface can be added later, of course, but I don’t consider it icing on the cake. As emphasized above, the interfaces is integral to this project – and part of what we were funded for (and something I stressed in the grant proposal) was to create a tool for systemic education. The visual interface is therefore very important!

Very distinctly a mailestone two thing.

-Following, please check out the new version of Thinkmap (simply for inspiration!) at http://www.thinkmap.com/v.2.5.jsp. I’d be curious to know what you techies think. I’ve also forwarded the article from them below.

I had a quick look. A few points

- Prices start at £5000 so out of question.
- Crap website - no working examples or links to examples.
- One nice feature is a timeline - chronology thing.
- I guess more stable than touchgraph.

While trying to find example for above I came across Hypergraph
http://hypergraph.sourceforge.net/
which looked OK and has a navigation menu.
Once you get the hang of the interface it does make it very easy to navigate a site map and quickly get to the node you want.

I'm still very unsure about how we would really us such a tool.
Yes we can do a family tree for plants, but not so usful for locating plants, as users need a very extensive plant knowledge to know
which Division/Order/Family the plant is in.

I can see that some sort of graphical interface could be good, but I don't think graph based interfaces are really poweful enough. There is only a limited amount of info which can be displayed in each node (point on the graph).

It would be good to get some more ideas about how this sort of stuff would be used. Steph perhaps a phone call could help us brainstorm this!

ttfn Rich
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719