pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Tiddly wiki comments]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Tiddly wiki comments]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:40:59 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [permaculture] Tiddly wiki comments
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:48:19 +1100
From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

Hi Jackie,

Just FYI.

] -anyone can edit

This is a feature of all CMS and wiki systems.

] -copies can be kept on a hard drive

This .. is something I find highly desirable (I want to be able
to use the data in such a system off-line and have it sync'd whenever
I am net-connected) but I suspect that all CMS/wikis will allow this,
so long as you're running a sensible operating system anyway.

] -forming WikiWords that become placeholders for new pages occur naturally,
] making writing an organic process

I believe this is standard (camel case stuff, yeah?) behaviour on
these systems.

] -(my own prediction) one day soon, all 'tiddlers' will be able to be
linked.

The web implies that this is possible now - can you elaborate on
this aspect more?

] cons - this interface is probably difficult to comprehend as an entire
database
] with tons of parameters. but perhaps someone is working on it. at
] tiddlywiki.com there are links to developer pages, and most everyone is
really
] friendly. development of this app is moving quickly, and is user-defined.

The interface is very pretty, but possibly very annoying. The
reliance upon javascript is a potential killer for some users (not
everyone has a fast computer and a big pipe - in fact, I have a fast
computer and a very big pipe and I still find the performance on that
site to be woeful).

All free (libre) software is user-defined in the sense that you have
the freedom to extend and alter it. If you check out the list of
available CMS/wikis on wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_content_management_systems

.. you can get a good idea of the huge number of these things that
exist. This isn't a particularly exhaustive list, either (I can't
find the list that I found a while ago that showed hundreds of
the things). The bulk of them are both free and very good, with
a sizeable minority being $-expensive and very bad. (No, I don't
know how this happens either.)

Jedd.

  • [pcdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Tiddly wiki comments], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/19/2006