pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:27:51 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:22:26 +1100
From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>

On Thursday 14 December 2006 16:26, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
] That is what I keep hearing, an RDb is the best way to go. Others
] suggest merging a Rdb with wiki software, i.e. MediaWiki.

Merging wikis (and I'm guessing you mean CMS rather than wiki) with
an rdb is a non-trivial process. Careful selection of the original
CMS implementation is the big one there - needing a very good
understanding of the solution you're aiming to achieve.

] Also needed is a website and possibly a blog; Wordpress is a good choice.

Blogs are cookie-cutter stuff. CMS's are too, up to a point.

] > I'd need a much clearer idea of how you envisioned the database
]
] A database allowing queries of data about elements in a permaculture
system and reveal relationships between these
] elements. It could be used as a discovery tool to find new guilds and
useful, compatible components of a system.

Hmm .. after reading that paragraph I have as much idea of the kind
of system you're after than I had before reading it. ; )

Spec out some pages / forms that you envisage such a system being
able to dish out, and what kind of information you'd be looking to put
into it, and pull out of it, and the formats of those data .. and
the techies will be better positioned to work it out from there.

I suspect that scope-creep in a project of this nature would be
both an enormous problem and totally unavoidable. This isn't
a good thing, btw.

Jedd.