nafex - Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:38:31 -0600

Reading all this on one of my rare chances to revisit Nafexland, I was thinking that none of you have free range chickens. The live traps we use tend to catch more chickens than squirrels. Not that that's a real problem, sometimes it gets one I want for the pot anyway. We take the trapped squirrels out to the neighbor's field and open the cage, so far only one has made it to the trees before our dog gets it. Not fun for the squirrel, but the dog loves it.
I had thought the Kania traps were worth remembering in case I ever started getting real crops from my trees, but the lethal effect probably wouldn't be so good for the chicken population. Since they don't work properly as sold on red squirrels, I wonder if any of you could tell me if they'd be safe for chickens............... OHH!!! I just looked at some websites! Oh, they look GREAT! Up the tree, yes, I could put one on the highway tree they use lately.
I'd better get one going in the spring, before any fruit can ripen. Assuming that not everything gets wiped out by a late freeze. This weather..... Donna