nafex - Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:27:52 -0600

I've used the peanut butter/PoP bonbons on several occasions when squirrels
were digging up oak and pecan/hickory seedlings in my nursery area.
Depredation ceased immediately on all occasions.
I've never seen a dead squirrel from PB/PoP - and from my medical/physiology
background, I can't imagine how PoP would kill a squirrel - but they have
worked - at least in my perception.
However, I wouldn't count on them as a reliable deterrent against squirrels
ravaging fruit or nut crops.
Diligence in trapping/terminating or shooting the vermin is tantamount to
success.

If you can't bear the thought of terminating the bushy-tailed tree rats, so
be it. Not everyone can do it.
Far too many folks are living in a warm-fuzzy Disneyfied world, expecting
sweetness and light and 'sharing the bounty' from their wildlife 'friends';
but the critters don't understand that concept.

Yes, wildlife biologists do, on occasion, 'relocate' members of extant
species in efforts to re-establish them in localities where they were once
present, but across-the-board, they condemn relocation of nuisance members
of non-threatened species, for a variety of reasons which have previously
been detailed in this thread.

Lucky