nafex - Re: [nafex] Seedling trees

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seedling trees
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:26:48 -0800 (PST)

I have to weigh in on this one!  I've loved reading all the stuff everyone
has to say.... but I hope things calm down a bit and we can agree to disagree
respectfully because I would hate to have any more of you leave this list.

I have to say that both sides have very valid points.

Pro grafting:  easiest way to ensure that you aren't spending a lot of time
looking after junk trees and sure makes marketing easier for large producers.
I have several hundred new and old varieties in my orchard both purchased
and self grafted on both dwarf (for earlier fruiting) and standard (my
preference: deer resistant!).  I like the idea of saving old varieties in
part because they are a wealth of genetics for the seedling side of my fruit
growing hobby and partly because they have stood the test of time and my area
is famous for its weather based testing!

Pro seedlings: I can't believe that a plant of any kind on its own roots will
not do better than one that is grafted.  It only makes sense.  Not to
mention, seedlings are fun and exciting: can't wait to see what I will get...
when they finally fruit!  I have seedling apples, pears, plums and apricots;
unfortunately, they put out their first blossoms last year when I was
transplanting them so I had to remove them.  Got my fingers crossed for this
year though!

And having come from a fruit growing area, I've seen/tasted the fruit from
seedlings fruiting along roadsides so I have a good idea of what will result
from an eating apple core tossed out a window.  I have yet to see one that
wasn't edible, maybe 1 in 10,000 is the next Ambrosia, but that doesn't mean
that only 1 in 10,000 is good to eat.  My in-laws have a tree, "Rojen", that
is working its way through the apple release process in BC at the moment.  It
grew out of their compost pile, my guess from the taste/shape/look of it that
they have a Golden Delicious seedling.  It was the only one that grew and it
is great.  Its much more uniform and keeps better than Golden Delicious.

Sarah
>From rckjacobs@yahoo.com Wed Nov 14 13:43:11 2012
n6wJ2M57LTLfDVvNjzD8eZ7Sg9_1ldkwnFVCjXxr9KxmqvgdgEOnK8WZuPjH
dx4bIrxsj4xd4Y1bsSYUt5PthyAsEmv4f2cxGt6mG04qzCHdHqDihRsJwk8.
fe9Fm.I1QREJYaCWnpMQHM76FqOWNSq5UNSBFlz.V_RWWREzpVoxp5QtR5_g
cDk92FWmbNIyuHIIDG7Iqif165Yc0pHyIbHhuT3gwBDYRTGzHJIqJzlq_3rS
ZH6FRxU_.9X8t19jb4B4-

Tm8gb25lIGlzIHJpZ2h0IG9yIHdyb25nIG9uIHRoZSBpc3N1ZS4gSSBsaXZlIGluIGEgVVMgY2l0eSBhbmQgbmVlZCB0aGUgZnJ1aXQgdGhhdCBpcyBncm93biBpbiBtYXNzLiBHcmFmdGVkLHNwcmF5ZWQsc2VsZWN0ZWQgYmVjYXVzZSBvZiB0aGUgbmVlZCB0byBnZXQgdG8gbWFya2V0IGludGFjdC4gSW5kdXN0cmlhbCBmcnVpdCBhcyBJIGNhbGwgaXQuIEFuZCBpIEkgbG92ZSB0aGUgc2VlZGxpbmcgZnJ1aXQgb2YgbXkgd2lmZSxzIGNvdW50cnkgQnJhemlsLiBBdmFjYWRvIHRoZSBzaXplIG9mIGEgYmFieScBMAEBAQE-