nafex - [nafex] Seedling trees

  • From: John McCuan <wawo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Seedling trees
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:38:12 -0800 (PST)

I find this topic very interesting.  How would I find more information on the
benefits of seedling trees?

Intuitively, it makes sense to me -

Melinda McCuan

Today's Topics:

  1. Re:  Fwd: Johny A. (Douglas Hinds)

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:46:48 -0600
From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [nafex] Fwd: Johny A.
Cc: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>

On 11/11/2012 10:29 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:
> From: Alan Haigh<alandhaigh@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM
> Subject: Johny A.
> To:nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org
>
>> >That isn't to take away from Johnny. He was an apple authority and went
>> around the country helping folks and propagated popular varieties by
>> grafting.
> Actually, according to Pollan's book, Johny thought grafting was devil's
> work and that God wanted trees to grow just as they were from seed.
God and Johnny aren't the only ones.  Count me in on that two.

How important is it to me?  I left the USA due to the relative dearth of
fruit from seedling trees there in 1974 and I still don't eat fruit from
trees that _aren't_  on their own roots.  In fact, fruit from seedling
trees is the principle staple food of my diet and at 70, I have not yet
begun to go downhill.

An article explaining the reasons why was published in the *1973
California Rare Fruit Growers Yearbook* (the year before I left).  Steve
Diver asked for for a copy and I e-mailed it to him about 12 years ago.
(If Steve is on nafex I'd appreciate being sent a copy, since I don't
have it on hand at this time.  And if not, Lawrence - I assume you have
his current contact data, and I hope you can do me the favor of sending
this on to him).

Grafting is unnecessary and creates more problems than it solves.
Logically, those subscribing to organic, biological, alternative,
sustainable and ecological (as well as permaculture and biodynamic)
agriculture would recognize the importance of respecting and maintaining
the integrity of the individual organism as a fundamental and
unalterable principle, yet no movement (that I'm aware of) has taken up
the cause and I think I (along with other sympathetic individuals and
groups) need to do something about that.  (It's on the agenda we've
established with CUCBA, our local Agricultural, Biological,
Environmental and Animal Sciences Faculty) <www.cucba.udg.mx> and as
time and funding permit, we will be moving ahead with it.

That's all for now, but I can elaborate further if this post generates
any interest to that effect.

Douglas Hinds,

Director General
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural, A.C.

Coordinator
Alianza para la Responsibilidad Ecologica y Social en el Desarrollo
(CUCBA, FEPRJ, CNC Jalisco, CeDeCoR A.C.)

Chair
Organic Pineapple Working Group
International Society for Horticultural Science

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites:
http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/

End of nafex Digest, Vol 118, Issue 9
*************************************
From: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
To: John McCuan <wawo@yahoo.com>,
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:44:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [nafex] Seedling trees

One of the best writings on seedling apples is by Henry David
Thoreau. It's called "Wild Apples". He wrote it just as grafting was
gaining popularity and the seedling orchards were becoming a thing of
the past. It's short and well worth the read.

John Bunker
Fedco
john@fedcoseeds.com
www.fedcoseeds.com