nafex - [nafex] Growing Your Own

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Growing Your Own
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:57:22 +0000

Reading the missives from Rick and Sarah, one cannot help but be impressed
with the array of fruit and endeavor displayed, all for the love of really
fresh fruit. Rick's yard must be maximally utilized.
And then Sarah:
"Several hundred varieties, new and old," of apples in one orchard: I'm
trying not to drool on myself. My yard space in town is only so large, I have
moved (given away) three apple trees already since planting in spring of '07.
So far I have grafted by bud, whip and cleft with about 50% success. A
request on this list a month or more ago about old cultivars from Europe
opened a whole new avenue of inquiry.

As a result, I hope to graft long-keepers into this yard:
Glockenapfel (Bell Apple, from Germany or the German quarter of Switzerland
about 1500, dual purpose)
Edelborsdorfer (Borsdorf Noble, first mention by Cistercians ca. 1175,
sweet/tart for fresh use)
Roter Eiserapfel (Red Iron, German [gewiß!] ca. 1500, sweet/tart for fresh
use.)

I still can hardly believe Lady, one of the oldest apples in cultivation,
resides out back. Maybe next year a first crop!?!

Life is good,

Dave Liezen

  • [nafex] Growing Your Own, david liezen, 11/14/2012