nafex - Re: [nafex] Seedling trees

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seedling trees
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 03:25:44 -0600

On 11/13/2012 4:58 PM, david liezen wrote:
Some day someone may ask me to try rooting a twig from one of the trees in my
yard to produce a standard: rooting compound and proper conditions ought to
yield a happy result.
That would avoid the inherent conflict (and parasitic relationship) grafting imposes and pomegranates, grapes and guavas are commonly rooted from cuttings (as are pitayas and cactus fruit), all of which I do consume. However: The results of a subjective comparison of identical fruit from seedling Concord grapes and ones grown side by side from cuttings WERE distinguishable, with the seedling grape having an noticeably more enhanced and focused flavor, although the appearance of the two were identical and generalized taste characteristics were not dissimilar.
4) Any differences of nutrient uptake due to choices in root stock seem
likely to have less significance than soil available, climate and type of
husbandry applied: organic, fertilized, sprayed, thinned crops and the like.

True, but if the scion had roots, the composition of what it would extract from the soil (with a given available nutrient supply) would be far more exact and appropriate for it's own particular individual metabolic processes and needs.