nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:13:13 -0600

Well-stated Richard.

Those who sneer at the 'invasive' appellation should experience some of
those 'pear forests' I'm seeing with greater and greater frequency.
In some areas of north Alabama, mimosa/silktree(Albizia julbrissin) is
almost as rampant.
On the farm I grew up on, in east-central AL, I saw major changes in the
fauna just in the 25 years I was roaming the woods & fields: centipede grass
crowded out virtually all desirable forage species, Chinese tallow trees
popped up everywhere(their allelopathic effect is well-known), and Eleagnus
(my dad called 'em 'bronze eleagnus', which would be E.pungens, but I'm not
certain that they weren't E.umbellata), escapees from a fenced University
planting on our farm, began popping up all over throughout the forest
understory - from creek-swamp forests to dry pine uplands.

While some proclaim that 'native' plants cannot be 'invasive', I differ -
and I'm not alone - in proclaiming that sweetgum(Liquidambar styraciflua) is
indeed an invasive plant species.

Lucky Pittman