nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Re: NAFEX fora

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Re: NAFEX fora
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:24:09 -0600

On 12/20/2011 5:47 PM, Chris Garriss wrote:
And, for what it's worth, I am in full agreement and support of Lawrence.

I manage a couple of lists - with one of them a closed list. The closed
list is quite small, but I spend more time on that one than the other 3
combined.

Further, even if Lawrence was willing to take on the task I would oppose
the change. Over time this list has "evolved". The majority of the list

members - including some of the most frequently posting ones that offer a
tremendous amount of help may not be members of the North American Fruit
Explorers. Eliminating them from the list would be an ill conceived move

- and might well push people away from joining the organization.

In addition to the web site and forums the organization has created, they

could set up a more "user friendly" list in addition to the forums. And
it could be a closed list. But, I don't think, from what I've heard off
and on the list, that a majority of the users here would move.
I think if Nafex set up another list on their web page, it would be confusing to members
who would not know which one to view or go to for assistance. I think the main reason
Nafex people are not using the web forum now is that is is cumbersome. It is divided
into several subdivisions requiring more checking. Their search function is very poor,
if not useless. It is organized more like a blog, so finding things of interest interspersed
between all possible chit chat makes for more confusion. Blogs are good for chit chat,
but not for carrying on technical discussions. I think the Nafex forum will die a natural
death, to be used only by people who just want to socialize with each other.

Sherwin Dubren

The openness of this list is one of the major reasons it is as dynamic as
it is. Look around, there is a widespread, not universal, move towards
open community and communication.

Just my 50¢ worth (2¢ adjusted for inflation).

Chris
On Dec 20, 2011 5:18 PM, "Lawrence F. London, Jr."<lflj@bellsouth.net>