nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] NAFEX fora

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] NAFEX fora
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:57:09 -0500

On 12/20/2011 1:16 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

If the goal is to restrict membership on this list to paid-up members

NAFEX needs to do that on their own forum somewhere else.

of NAFEX, I believe that can be done on ibiblio. This appears to be
an ordinary "mailman" mailing list. I have administered other mailman
lists, and the list owner can screen members before allowing them to
join, and can remove members at any time.

This can be done but I would never consider doing that with this list.
This mode of operation would take a lot of time and work that I can not make available for this purpose.

I personally think it would
be unwise to do that, but (Lawrence, correctme if I am wrong) that
can be done without making any real changes to the list.

I agree that it would be very unwise to do that and that it could ruin this forum, which is one of the best of its kind anywhere. It can take a long time to build a significant forum user base, community, daily traffic and archives containing valuable content. This is not done overnight.

A big difference between this list and NAFEX's forum is that theirs is private and content cannot be searched by Google whereas this one is public and elaborate Google searches can be performed on the extensive archives.

NAFEX could install forum software (maybe SMF Forums) that offers users several participation options, posting and reading online as well as posting and reading by email. Forum software that can create browseable and even downloadable monthly archives might be available too. If they use a hosting service for nafex.org that offers a mailman mailing list then they can simply download all the archives from this list and import them into their own and have everything that has been posted to the Nafex forum from its beginning. They could also subscribe a remailer email address for their list to this list and port, one way, all posts into theirs on an ongoing basis, setting the delivery mode for that ID to nomail to avoid endless loops - maybe too risky.
I feel that the members of this list should be consulted before pursuing these options. Of course, there would be many posts from non NAFEX members in the traffic and in the archives. Just a thought.

LL