nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] [Bulk] Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:32:49 -0600

On 12/19/2011 12:12 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
I wondering what the reason was why this list was divorced from NAFEX?
I must have missed the discussions when this happened way back when.
I really don't see why this listserve would be any different than
having a Facebook page that anyone can join.

~mIEKAL

I have been signed up for the Nafex Ibibliio list for some time, even though I was
not a member of Nafex. Although Nafex does not advertise it, they appear to
accept all applicants. I did notice a big uproar last August when Nafex people
were complaining about the Nafex forum on their web page and not being
sufficiently notified about it. My impression is that a group of Nafex people
decided to set up a forum on the web page and make it only accessible by
members. I re-joined Nafex recently, mainly to see what was going on with their
web site. I was not impressed by what I saw. Firstly, there was very little
posting activity, especially when compared to the Ibiblio list. I did not like
the way it was divided into about 6 subgroups forcing me to check each one
individually for items of interest. Also, their search function was very poor,
not finding things I know were in their postings and taking too much time
to do so. I did not like having to sign on to view forum activity.

When I contacted the Nafex membership person about the existence of two
forums, I was told there was only one official forum, the one on their web
page. Seems like this small group of Nafex people took it upon themselves
to ignore the Ibiblio list and make the forum on their web page for members
only. As the forum administrator for Midfex on Ibiblio, I am concerned about
this for both Midfex and Nafex. Midfex is just now considering such a move.
I plan to keep the Midfex forum on Ibiblio going, no matter what, and I believe
the Nafex administrator is planning a similar thing. As Midfex moderator, I
can control chit-chat and improper usage. This is usually not done in a blog
style forum now in place on Nafex's site.

I do not consider a web page to be a good home for a forum. It is good for
chatting, but difficult to find items of interest. I like the simplicity of the email
system on Ibiblio where members are sent the postings as they come out and
can easily reply to those emails. I think closing off the Nafex technical discussion
to members only is counter productive. It will not generate more revenue for
Nafex, and may in fact attract fewer new members to join.

For more opinions, check the Nafex Archives on Ibiblio for August 2011.

Sherwin Dubren