nafex - [NAFEX] Lifespan of Interstem Grafted Trees

  • From: alexis@conev.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lifespan of Interstem Grafted Trees
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 04:34:21 -0500

I would like to create some interstem grafted trees (where a vigorous standard or large semi-dwarf rootstock is grafted with a dwarfing rootstock, and then fruiting scion grafted on top of that).
Standards and semi-dwarfs live longer than dwarfs.
Can anyone tell me the life expectancy of interstem grafted trees? Is the lifespan set (or limited) by the root or the interstem section? Is the lifespan of interstem grafted trees determined solely by the rootstock?
Thanks,
Alexis