nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:25:21 -0600

I picked a few off an Aronia at the U if M arboretum a while back and they weren't too bad. Not sweet enough and tart enough to be a blueberry, but certainly not unpleasant. Plenty of that "purple" berry thing. Somewhat astringent, but I assume that would also diminish with heating, drying, or freezing. Seemed like it could go very well in combination with other fruits, or with added acids and sugars.

How do you get rid of astringency in wines?

Anyway, I felt that there was enough promise to them that I bought a small (in a 2" pot) Viking Aronia this fall and planted it in the yard. I should be able to tell you about it in two or three years...

Black currants don't taste too good fresh either but make wonderful jam!

Dan

St Paul, MN, zone 4.