nafex - [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:24:37 -0500

I just tasted my first Aronia berries. They were red, I believe they are /Aronia arbutifolia/. I have to admit I am underwhelmed. They are dry and mealy, bland tasting. They remind me of an inferior rose hip without as much fruit surrounding the seed core.

When I search for /Aronia/ uses, the web is full of glowing reports for juice, jams, jellies, even fresh eating. Are the red varieties that much inferior to the black? I don't know the history of these plants, so the fruit quality may have been adversely affected by drought.

Does anyone have any comments or experience with using these fruits?

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC