nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia arbutifolia. Red chokeberry.
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 08:38:29 -0600

Aronia is not an out of hand fruit. Even the best such as Viking or
Nero have some astringency. However, the nutritional profile is off
the map & the large majority of people who are planting them (100s of
acres going in in the midwest) are planting them for the superfood
market & because there is almost 0 disease pressure. The best
culinary uses I have seen are jams, ice cream, chutney & bbq sauce.
But most of all they make absolutely fabulous wine if the slight
astringency is dealt with.

They also raisin well & can be tossed with a slight amount of sweetner
for a dried fruit snack.

~mIEKAL