nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:11:53 -0600

Is the Parafilm Grafting formulation better than Parafilm M? I don't know;
I learned to graft using Parafilm M, and I'm comfortable using it.

I have ready access to Parafilm M, working in a scientific laboratory
setting.
I buy a 2"x 250' roll every 3 years or so - or whenever I use one up.
I just reel off 10 ft or so at a time and cut it into 6" x 2/3" strips. One
strip will do most pomefruit grafts, but for a 'banana' graft on relatively
large-caliper nut stocks, I may use 2 or 3 pieces per graft.
Parafilm works great for those 3 or 4-flap 'banana' grafts; it's often hard
to hold all the 'pieces & parts' in place with only one hand and wrap.
Parafilm allows me to do that without torqueing things out of alignment, and
holds them in place while I overwrap with a grafting rubber.

I wrap the graft union and scion all the way to the top, then back down
again - so, most grafts/scions have at least a double-layer of Parafilm.

In my climate, I would never expect Parafilm to suffice as the sole wrap.
All nut tree and persimmon grafts also get a wrap with a wide rubber band
over the union - and I'll often overwrap the rubber with masking tape, just
to slow UV degradation of the rubber.

I guess I also usually wrap pomefruit grafts with a rubber, but some
rapidly-callusing stuff, like pears, I might just overwrap with masking
tape.

Lucky

P.S. I've seen the 2"x250' Parafilm M for as little as $18.50 from various
internet suppliers. That's a lot of grafts for a little dinero.