nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 07:53:21 -0600

I had used the lab style parafilm for years, and then found that Fedco had rolls for about $3 so I bought several, then could hardly get a graft to take for 3-4 years till I finally decided it was the grafting tape. It wouldn't stretch, it was really thick, and it would break before I thought I had it tight enough. It was very narrow, so I'd have to make a lot of wraps and none of them seemed to me to be sealed as well as the lab stuff had done. Maybe it was the subject matter, because when I found and bought a roll of "Buddy Tape" or some name like that at Morton's professional nurseryman supply in McMinnville, I also started grafting a lot of pears. Lucky says you can hardly go wrong with pears. But at the same time my dismal rate of takes of hickories and hicans on the wrong rootstocks went up considerably. (We HAVE the wrong hickories, and we don't have the right ones, so it's use the wrong ones or forget it, as pecan won't grow on our place and I hear it's the best rootstock. I have found 2 hicans that do take on mockernut, and one hickory on pignut.) Donna