nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:02:41 -0800

Supposedly Parafilm lasts for 3 years but mine has lasted longer than that.
There are small, cheaper rolls of a slightly different product that breaks
more easily but works as well on the graft. .There is also something called
Buddy Tape that has pre cut pieces on a roll that also works well--you can
buy it in smaller quantities.

I wrap the whole graft (usually 3 buds) and over the top to keep the graft
moist inside until it grows and it keeps it warmer outside. Since I do not
have much frost, I graft fruit like plums (with early bud break) in January
and will graft into March (apples, pears). If the weather is really hot,
some folks near me but in a much hotter section will put a little paper bag
over grafts to keep them from heating up too much.

I think Parafilm is faster than using a rubber band and some liquid like Dr
Farewells--but then -but then there was only one year I did over 100 grafts
and some years I may only do 20 or so. I leave the parafilm on indefinitely
and can tell by the condition it is in what year something was grafted (up
to about 4 years) if I lose the tag--than can check my records.

I just bought a roll for $27 (when most charge around $40 or more for 250
feet- some are 2" wide, some are 4"). The shipping was expensive. Our
California Rare Fruit Growers chapter sells it at our scion exchange. If you
have a large orchard and little money, Parafilm is not the best
choice-possibly can use wax to seal the ends of the scion and the graft
portion--many on this group will know. .

Idell zone 9
San Francisco bay area