nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:14:24 -0600

Scott,

The reason I mention parafilm M is because, as I recall, once on this list,
parafilm M was recommended above regular parafilm. It's been several years
since it's been discussed, so my memory is a little fuzzy on this. I know
you have good results grafting peaches, so if you use regular parafilm, it
must work fine.

Specifically, that's been my problem, grafting peaches. I do just a few
grafts each year, and haven't had any trouble w/ apples, pears, and plums.
Not so w/ peaches. I've followed all the typical recommendations - graft
when weather is warm enough for callous, use aluminum foil, etc. and still
had poor success.

I tried some T budding again late last summer, and it seems several of the
grafts dried out. I've come to the conclusion, that's been the biggest
problem. So, I thought if I wrapped the whole graft in parafilm, it might
help. I already use rubber electrical tape around the union itself, and
seal the edges w/ grafting compound, but most of the buds still dried out.

I've tried wrapping the graft in plastic wrap, but it seems to hold too much
humidity, making the bud soggy, and killing it. Supposedly parafilm
breathes, so I thought I'd try it.

A couple of people have mentioned they have some extra parafilm, they might
sell. I appreciate it. I'll contact you folks directly, and see what you
need for it.

Thanks,
Mark