nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need source for parafilm
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:31:13 -0500

I keep my roll in the garage, and it's lasted for years, now, with no visible
aging.

I find I get better takes if I bind the graft together with a rubber band or
something first, and then wrap with Parafilm. Just the Parafilm doesn't give
a tight enough bond, at least the way I've used it. But Parafilm is far and
away my favorite "coating" for grafts. It's fast and easy to use, works very
well, and there's no prep or clean up to speak of. Getting the "grafting
compound" off my fingers was a major hassle, and keeping wax soft enough to
work with in the field was pretty much impossible. Plastic bags and masking
tape didn't keep the twig moist enough (especially not masking tape.)

happy grafting!

Ginda