nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fast Fruit

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fast Fruit
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:08:27 -0500

Are there other fruits people would recommend for those who are just starting and want fast fruit?

Well, as I mentioned in another post, my Superior plum produced fruit one year after planting. And not just a little bit, either - the branches were just solid fruit before I thinned them a bit (and the same again this year).

Most of my gooseberries took two years to produce more than a handful of fruit, except for the Hinnonmaki Yellow. That one has grown the least, staying MUCH smaller than the others, but it was a solid mass of berries one year after planting, and again the past two years. It's just incredible how many berries it produces.

Grapes seem to be great for producing fruit right away, too. And strawberries, of course.

Bill

--
It's about whether we're serious about remaining a great nation. We don't act like it. Here's a staggering statistic: According to the Education Trust, the U.S. is the only industrialized country in which young people are less likely than their parents to graduate from high school. - Bob Herbert