nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cornus mas

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cornus mas
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:33:48 -0700 (PDT)

I grow Pioneer here along with several other named selections.  Of them all, Pioneer produces the least amount of fruit.  For me, Elegant has the best flavored fruit and started production much earlier than the others.  I do have problems keeping them alive, having lost two Elegant during the winters in zone 5.  Not sure what the issue may be but hardiness could be the issue.  Pioneer produced in the year following its initial blooming.  Pioneer requires some bletting before best taste, but Elegant was good right off the tree.  No experience with Jubulee.

John