nafex - [NAFEX] Squirrel followup

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Squirrel followup
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:16:38 -0400

Here is a followup on the recent squirrel control conversation. I ordered the tangelfoot but it is not here yet; meanwhile I have been renewing my attempts at the other methods. Mark Angermayer emailed me suggesting pecans as squirrel bait, and someone here also mentioned peanut butter. So, I baited all my traps with a triple combo of my professional bait (mixed nut butter plus molasses), peanut butter, and pecans, and also put pecans dipped in PB or professional bait a foot or so from the trap entrance. The havahart traps again got triggered by dog or whatever trying to get the bait, but I have caught three squirrels in my two Kania traps in only two days. In the process of baiting them I discovered that one of them was not firing like it should have; there is a defect in how the traps were manufactured I believe, the wire ring that triggers the trap was installed incorrectly. I fixed that problem and caught a squirrel in that trap the next day.

I also made a fresh batch of the PB/PoP balls, this time putting in a little more PB than I was using before to see if that would increase the interest. My first batch has disappeared and I am on the second batch now. I will keep putting those out. They are placed on a platform I mounted about 8' up a tree so I am fairly certain that only squirrels are getting them.

Scott