nafex - Re: [NAFEX] venom

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] venom
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 11:29:23 -0700

All chemical reactions are dependent on the electromagnetic properties of
atoms; even simple adherence, as with glue, is dependent on electromagnetic
action on the subatomic level (using em here to describe all three related
forces, to shamelessly oversimplify).
That doesn't mean that you can use electricity or magnetism in subtle ways
to undo some reactions - like those of venom or fungi - while leaving other
important processes undamaged. Some electrical fields will affect some
things in some ways. Neither cells nor the molecules that make up the cells
can necessarily hold any additional charge - at least not and maintain
integrity - nor be happy transmitting charges. I just can't see that a
constant mild state of electrocution might make plants happier or more
resistant.
As far as charge protecting against radiation: ionizing radiation is
particles/waves that strike atoms with enough energy to displace electrons.
Cells are made of molecules that are made of atoms that contain electrons.
Ionizing radiation damages cells by displacing subatomic electrons from
atoms or molecular arrangements of atoms, causing their charge to be altered
(losing negatively charged electrons). This disturbs the structure of the
atoms, molecules, cells, on up to the organism itself. Maybe your radiation
lab friend was saying that some molecules or arrangement of molecules are
more resistant to radiation than others because their electrons are more
resistant to displacement. That's true - it's easier to knock electrons out
of some electron shells than others.
It is possible to decrease the susceptibility of an organism to ionizing
radiation; this will affect biochemical properties throughout, and make the
organism more susceptible to cancer or similar cellular changes.
Oh, and back to the beginning; you're describing the surfactant nature of
simple detergents, not enzymes. Enzymes are proteins that have specific
actions to do specific things; like unlock the bonds within a chemical
structure. In the case of detergents with added enzymes, this can cause
protein-based stains to become more soluble, or break the bond between
staining agents and the fiber they're adhering to. Detergents are good at
grease stains, enzymes are good at blood stains, for example.
I wouldn't say cells are little batteries, but I can see why someone would.
They do have what's called a resting membrane potential, but there's not a
strong constant flow from one area to another with resultant oxidation as
the battery wears down. Human bodies are electrochemical; we use positively
and negatively charged ions to create currents that operate things like
muscles and nerves. I suppose there are similarities to batteries, but it's
so much more complex. Other organisms also use ions to accomplish their
processes.
And I don't want to write too much on how humans are like batteries, less
the machines find out and use us as a battery matrix while giving us an
illusory alternate existence.

~ Stephen
Trying to electrically activate his biochem brain before his morning coffee