nafex - [NAFEX] strawberries and bees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] strawberries and bees
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:03:40 -0400

I just got some little strawberry plants from "frais des bois". They are beautifully packaged, but I was surprised to see they have aphids. Not a big deal, I suppose, but plants don't usually arrive with aphids.

(And they even have a very official-looking Nursery License from the state of Delaware affixed to the inner packaging.)

Also, I may have honey bees this year. I haven't had honey bees in years, and maybe I've forgotten what they look like. These are a little blacker than I remember. But they are about the size, shape, and fuzziness of honey bees. Could the wild bees be making a comeback, even in the face of CCD?

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6