nafex - [NAFEX] quince as r/s for pear

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] quince as r/s for pear
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:27:49 -0800

Hélène,

Quince A is semi-dwarfing, but the reason for interstems on quince when grafting European pears is incompatibility between the European pear and the quince r/s. Some Asian pears are incompatible too.

I have a list and about half of the pears I graft are compatible with quince and the other half are not.

I haven't grafted any Asian pears and P ussuriensis is for Asian pears so I don't know anything about compatibility with P ussurienses.

We usually use old Home as an interstem because it is readily available, but I have used German Butter as an interstem. The interstem can be as short as one bud, but most of us do a 3-bud graft and this gives a little more space when grafting the chosen variety on top.

It is possible, if you are precise, to do both grafts at the same time, but usually I graft a bunch of quince with Old Home and let them grow for a year and then graft the chosen European pear variety on top.

Why do we use quince r/s when interstems are necessary? It is the only r/s we have been able to get.

Derry Walsh
South Coastal B.C.

Hélène Dessureault wrote:

I am not sure why you mention interstem. Is it to reduce size or for incompatibility between some varieties?