nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting pears P. ussuriensis

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting pears P. ussuriensis
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:44:49 -0500

Hi Derry,

I am not sure why you mention interstem. Is it to reduce size or for incompatibility between some varieties?

In cold climates, such as zone 3, it is not really necessary to interstem tree to reduce the size, as trees grow more slowly in colder climates, due to the shorter growing season. For instance M111 (semi standard size) will usually grow like a semi dwarf. I feel that it is such a treat to have trees producing fruits in colder climates, that the size of the tree is not a big issue.

In my zone 3 to 4 (opinions varie on our exact designation) the main obstacle is the cold. A tree that will make it for many good years may suddenly die or die back under extreme winter cold-thaw situations which are the worst for killing trees. In such conditions, P. ussuriensis survives with complete indifference to the climate it seems. The problem with P. ussuriensis is that it is said to have incompatibility with some pear varieties for grafting.

With P. ussuriensis, I have done top working. My 15 trees had very little growth at first. After a while, they seemed to catch up as if the tree has to establish a good root system before developing upward growth. Top working is interesting because you get many branches of a variety to produce a decent crop while your main tree structure remains the rootstock which in the case of P. ussuriensis is cold hardy and sturdy too. You can do a few branches first, and continue top working using extra growth on the grafted branches as additional scion wood. You can also do more than one variety, if you so desire. You can also push your luck with varieties that would not normally grow in your area. The point is that there is less consequences when one branch breaks or dies, than when the whole tree breaks or dies after many years.

Incompatibility can be a problem though and I am not sure how it works. What I have seen is a good growing pear tree on P. ussuriensis literally separating at the graft union under a strong wind and the tree falling over. On close observation, you can see that callusing has partially formed between the grafted wood and P. ussuriensis inside so that the union joint is not perfect (not as good as it should be). Other grafts I have seen, on apple trees for instance, often have joint that is so perfect that after a few years, it is difficult to find the grafting point. Not so with P. ussuriensis. We call this incompatibility, but maybe it is simply due to the way P. ussuriensis calluses its wound... I would be interested to hear other opinions on this subject....

Claude, yes the one and only, sent me a nice selection of pear scion wood last year. The favorable weather (Warm temperature and lots of rain which stimulated cambium flow) and some years of grafting practice combined to produce near 100% takes. Each variety was grafted unto two P. ussuriensis with at least two takes on each tree.

I am hoping that topworking on P. ussuriensis will ensure a stronger long lasting tree.

Hélène, north of Ottawa zone3-4

----- Original Message ----- From: "derry&bill" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>