nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Heirloom Apple for Quebec

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Heirloom Apple for Quebec
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:27:01 -0500

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Claude, thanks for the information and the links.  Your pears look delicious and I am jealous of your beautiful orchard in one of my favourite parts of Quebec! J'adore Charlevoix!

Don't get me wrong everyone, I have not overlooked the apples typically grown in this region.  In fact I appreciate Cortlands very much.  My only worry is for the tree. This is a factor I have trouble judging for someone who is just going to have 2 or 3 trees, yet wants to follow organic and hopefully not too involved maintenance practices. Liberty I have not tasted, and the comments I have read say it's OK, so I am a little hesitant.

Reine de Reinettes intrigues me because I am not familiar with it and I think I get it mixed up with Reinette du Canada? Sandow seems to be interesting, although I wouldn't know where to get my hands on it.

Derry, thanks a lot for the list and articles.  It gave me hope that there's more that will survive the winter here than the 2 or 3 trees that you find in nurseries round here.

Claude, as I said the pears look mouth-watering.  Among those you recommended do you have any taste preferences or ones that are better keepers? I know what you mean about more apples than pears, I have a fear that with 2 pears I will be overrun with fruit.  In that case I need something self-fruitful. I read that Flemish Beauty is the most self-fruitful, would you concur?

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

Caren.