nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Heirloom Apple for Quebec

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Heirloom Apple for Quebec
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:23:08 -0500

At 10:27 2009-01-15, you wrote:
Hello, I'm new to nafex so please forgive any errors of etiquette. Somebody suggested that this is the best place for me to get excellent advice on fruit selection for my area so here goes:

I am a Brit living near St. Jerome, Quebec (AgCan Z4, USDA Z3) who is into edible gardening. Last year I planted a Golden Russet and so far I'm very pleased with the results (although today has got me worried, -32degC this morning). I would like to add at least one other apple and possibly a pear or 2 dwarf (I am fairly restrained for space). Not worried about pollinators for the apples because my neighbours all have a variety of crabs.

I prefer apples of substantial or more complex flavour (like the golden russet). I was thinking of something with Cox heritage, but obviously I am worried about a) hardiness and b) level of difficulty for backyard gardener. Someone suggested a Holstein or a Blenheim Orange. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these in my zone.

Also wouldn't mind a cooking apple. Obviously Bramley is out of the question, I was wondering if Boskoop could work up here?

Other qualities that I am looking for in the apple trees would be early bearing, good winter storers, some level of disease resistance.

As for the pears, as I said, I am restricted in space so definitely looking for dwarf or semi-dwarf. I'm not looking for the biggest crops ever, so something self-fruitful would work. Other than that, I am looking for the same type of criteria as the apples; quick to bear, good storage, less disease-prone. As far as taste goes, I am a Comice fan. Does anyone have any suggestions?

To be clear, I am officially in AgCan Zone 4b, but I have had some success with certain Zone 5 plants. I am a bit of an experimenter, I am trying a Reliance peach and a Somerset grape too. I'll see how they survive the winter.

If anyone has any advice I would be very appreciative. Finally, if Claude from Quebec is out there, SVP repondez-moi.

Yes Caren I am there...
For apples, with the criteria you have written above, I have success with Belle de Boskoop, Ribston Pippin and Reine de reinettes (King of Pippins) - I think the 3 are great and would not hesitate to recommend them strongly. Good growers, ripen well, few problems. Also don't overlook Cortland and Liberty which are of a more classical type of apples, although Cortland has the disadvantage of being scab prone. About Liberty, I have to say it is my favorite TREE (although not my favorite apple, but the apple still ranks quite good). I will add a new contender in this short list : Sandow - It is a young tree and at it's second year of production, and already ranking up there in my top 5! It has great complex taste, very hardy, good grower, no scab, ugly big apple.

I don't think Cox would have a chance, but with Ribston, you would have one of it's parents. I have not tried Holstein nor Blenheim in my orchard (and I don't think they would make it). I had a tree of Bramley which I have had to cut because it was partly winter killed almost every year.

About pears, you may try Patten and Flemish Beauty. I also like Golden Spice (mainly for juice) and Luscious.
You can see pictures of my pears at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cjoliprsf
and select the Pears for Pomona album.
I made this album for an article I wrote in Pomona - I think it was winter 2007, but I am not sure (I am at the office and don't have my Pomonas handy). If you don't have it I could sent it as a PDF file.
I would recommend to plant more apples than pears as apples are easier to use and to keep. When I get a large pear crop, I always loose more than I loose apples...

Claude
Québec, zone4