nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting pears

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting pears
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 08:03:06 -0500

On Jan 17, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
. . . .
On pears, since you probably will have only one tree, I would suggest you put yourself into grafting to have 4 or 5 varieties in the same tree - this would solve the pollination issue and permit you to have some early, mid-season and late pears. Flemish Beauty is probably the easiest to find in any nursery, so you could start with that. Then next year, you could graft a couple of branches. There are quite a few people on this list including myself that yould send you scion wood with pleasure...
. . .

Claude, how easy is it to graft pears?  Are they like apples in timing?

I don't really have room for a pear, but my son wants me to plant one, and perhaps I'll do it.  But if I did, I would want at least two cultivars (luscious and seckel come to mind, although I haven't researched if they are good in my climate) mostly for pollination, but also for variety.

Thanks,

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6