nafex - [NAFEX] Sandow apple, was Re: Heirloom Apple for Quebec

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sandow apple, was Re: Heirloom Apple for Quebec
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:38:27 -0500

Sandow is listed by
http://www.siloamorchards.com
north of Toronto
but is said to be sold out. Perhaps they will have it in future years, especially if ordered in advance.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
A 22:27 09.01.16 -0500, vous avez écrit :

Reine de Reinettes intrigues me because I am not familiar with it and I think I get it mixed up with Reinette du Canada? Sandow seems to be interesting, although I wouldn't know where to get my hands on it.

Claude, as I said the pears look mouth-watering. Among those you recommended do you have any taste preferences or ones that are better keepers? I know what you mean about more apples than pears, I have a fear that with 2 pears I will be overrun with fruit. In that case I need something self-fruitful. I read that Flemish Beauty is the most self-fruitful, would you concur?

Caren,
I got my Sandow tree from Corn Hill Nursery in N.Brunswick, on Ottawa 3 rootstock (dwarf). That was 10 years ago, but you may still give it a try. I am quite sure you can find it on Google.

On pears, since you probably will have only one tree, I would suggest you put yourself into grafting to have 4 or 5 varieties in the same tree - this would solve the pollination issue and permit you to have some early, mid-season and late pears. Flemish Beauty is probably the easiest to find in any nursery, so you could start with that. Then next year, you could graft a couple of branches. There are quite a few people on this list including myself that yould send you scion wood with pleasure...

P.S. Reine de reinettes and Reinette du Canada are 2 different varieties. Reinette du Canada is not very hardy from the reports I have read. Reine de reinettes is an old European variety of uncertain origin that is quite popular in colder areas of England, France, Holland and Scandinavia. Actually, in France it is known to be greatly superior in the mountain areas in higher altitude orchards. I got it from late Fred Janson, one of the NAFEX founder who had a great collection in Ontario. This was quite a surprise for me to discover that this apple performed so well in my cold zone.

Claude