nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hardy pear r/s for zone 3

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hardy pear r/s for zone 3
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:29:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi Derry,

I use Siberian Pear seedlings for rootstock. I have had some trouble when
grafting some of the pear varieties I got from Canada's Clonal Genebank and
I'm hoping that was a timing issue with the budwood being shipped from the
East. I have had nearly 100% success grafting on some super hardy pears from
Russian which have Siberian Pear in their parentage. But maybe Siberian Pear
rootstock has the same compatibility issues that I've heard about (and
experienced) when grafting regular apples, without Siberian Crab in their
background, onto Siberian Crab rootstock.

Sarah
Zone 3b
Edmonton, AB