nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 23:04:54 -0600

Personally, I think we (NAFEXers) who garden and plant so extensively should qualify for automatic carbon offsets. I’ve planted (and tend) 30+ trees in my little yard, I can’t imagine between that and all the other gardening I do that I would still have a positive carbon footprint.

I don't know. If people weren't around, most of our yards would still be filled with trees, or at least vegetation, wouldn't they? So I can't really see how we're offsetting anything. To have a positive carbon footprint, that would require a net gain from us not existing at all, wouldn't it? Not just better than other people with astroturf and plastic flowers?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, and it's no big deal, anyway. It just struck me as odd.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
George Bush is behaving like a furious defaulter whose home is about to be repossessed. Smashing the porcelain, ripping the doors off their hinges, he is determined that there will be nothing worth owning by the time the bastards kick him out. - George Monbiot