nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:48:35 -0500

I think if you let clove currant get thoroughly ripe, you might enjoy it. I really like the fruit. Then again, Crandall is not a clone, so there is some variation.

Thanks, Lee. I didn't realize that. I just assumed that 'Crandall' clove currants were all clones. And note that this was the ONLY named cultivar of clove currants I found when I was looking for plants. On the Internet, there was considerable disagreement about whether or not clove currants needed cross-pollination - and even whether or not there were separate male and female plants - so I would have loved to find another cultivar.

I ended up getting one seedling clove currant, instead, but the berries are REALLY small. Then again, since they taste terrible, I guess I don't care much about the berry size. :)

I'll keep trying them. Maybe I'll learn to like them,... eventually.

PS. Do they ripen once they're picked? I do have a hard time finding completely ripe berries, since the birds get them pretty quickly. And they don't seem to be worth netting.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The fundamentalists deny that evolution has taken place; they deny that the earth and the universe as a whole are more than a few thousand years old, and so on. There is ample scientific evidence that the fundamentalists are wrong in these matters, and that their notions of cosmogony have about as much basis in fact as the Tooth Fairy has. - Isaac Asimov