nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: lostman_amiga@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:25:14 -0500

I tasted some that were pretty good (kind of sweet grape flavor) before at Richard Moyer's place. Then I got some myself and I was disappointed in the flavor. I had one from different source that wasn't half bad, but that one died. I guess the they vary greatly and may be nurseries propagate them from seed?

Well, the 'Crandall' variety is not supposed to be propagated from seed, though I bought one plant from a different nursery, and it seems a bit different. I've got one seedling clove currant, though, and the berries are MUCH smaller (though they still tasted lousy).

It's funny how some Crandall plants start ripening at least 6 weeks before others do. I agree the staggered ripening is a pain.
No way to know if you're tasting the same plant / flavor as we have. I certainly do enjoy eating them fresh, but wait till they are quite ripe.

Yes, they're incredibly sour when not completely ripe, but I never ate one I liked, and I kept trying all season. They lose that sour taste, but they never seem to develop any kind of sweet taste. I can taste the cloves (which I'd thought was only in the strongly-scented flowers), but not much else. I really can't describe it, but I was just amazed to find they were so bad.

I enjoy the flavor fresh much more than that of black currants,

Well, you've convinced me never to plant black currants, anyway. Heh, heh.

Maybe I'll learn to enjoy clove currants, eventually. But I don't think I'll bother netting them until then! And considering how they ripen - one at a time - I can't see picking them for juice. But we'll see.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I don't agree with those who think that the conflict is simply between two religions, namely Christianity and Islam. ... To me, the key conflict is between irrational blind faith and rational, logical minds. - Taslima Nasri