nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants

  • From: Lee Reich <garden@leereich.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currants
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:36:03 -0400

Ribes aureum, the golden currant, is closely related to clove currant, R. odoratum, and often mixed up in the nursery trade. Golden currant, in my experience, is more upright growing and has a yellower cast to the leaves. Its berries are small, sparse, and not very tasty. Perhaps that's what you have. None of the currants ripen off the plant.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening